Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Mental illness is a B***H!


I am not up to much these days, don't have too much money to spend at the moment so I keep my activities in Calgary. Especially the free ones. Library, parks, gym. I am bored out of my mind and can't seem to be able to keep busy enough to shut myself out of my own thoughts. I find peace only when I am at work.

I have been reading quite a bit about mental illness and all I can say, is that it's a bitch.
It destroys relationships, lives and everything in-between.

According to Canadian Mental Health Association 
https://cmha.ca/about-cmha/fast-facts-about-mental-illness

Who is affected?

  • Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time through a family member, friend or colleague.
  • In any given year, 1 in 5 people in Canada will personally experience a mental health problem or illness.
  • Mental illness affects people of all ages, education, income levels, and cultures.
  • Approximately 8% of adults will experience major depression at some time in their lives.
  • About 1% of Canadians will experience bipolar disorder (or “manic depression”).

How common is it?

  • By age 40, about 50% of the population will have or have had a mental illness.
  • Schizophrenia affects 1% of the Canadian population.
  • Anxiety disorders affect 5% of the household population, causing mild to severe impairment.
  • Suicide accounts for 24% of all deaths among 15-24 year olds and 16% among 25-44 year olds.
  • Suicide is one of the leading causes of death in both men and women from adolescence to middle age.
  • The mortality rate due to suicide among men is four times the rate among women.

I have had a very close encounter (almost like an alien encounter) with a person (monster) with severe bipolar disorder, and probably with borderline personality disorder as well.  Moods go up and down with almost no warning, almost every thing can trigger an episode of absolute rage and anger. Abusive and controlling but charming and romantic. They will mess with your mind until you start questioning your own sanity and reality. Once you can't feed their ego anymore, you will be discarded with no second thoughts or regrets. These kind of people lack empathy, a conscience and feels no real emotions. Unable to hold on to any relationship worth having, will blame everyone else, the world is out to get them. 
I am happy that it is not me that have to wake up like that every morning, but the scars left by this person (monster) will stay forever. Knowing these disorders are so common, I will probably be able to spot the red flags in time to not get sucked into the depths of madness.
What a ride it has been, one I wish I did't have, but it has opened my eyes on a lot of things.
I think these people should never date, get married or have kids, because they will hurt and devastate people around them. They should walk into a psych ward and asked to be locked up for eternity. Better safe than sorry!

Here are few photos of pretty birds, just to lighten up the mood a bit after this post.
I envy animals. They are just animals and they don't care. I wish I was a bird. A bald eagle to be precise. Maybe in my next life.

















No comments:

Post a Comment